I find nothing more charming than a piece with character. A timeless vintage-esque locket, a gorgeous cocktail ring, what could possibly add more to an outfit? This is where my hair accessory obsession returns, as I love to adorn even the tip top of my head with something special, such as the simple, yet elegant design of the pillbox hat. And what better way to feel such originality with your pill box hat than if made yourself?
- scrap material
- thin cardboard
- elastic thread
- hot glue gun or strong tape
- decoration (feathers, tulle, buttons, or anything of your desire)
- Cut out three cardboard circles to the size of your choice. (A CD or anything around that size will work.)
- Take one circle and draw a line on the edge of any point on the circle. Roll it along another long piece of cardboard until you reach that same point you drew. Allow the piece about another inch off of what you have.
3. The long strip for the sides of the hat should be about 2 inches in width. The length depends on just how big you want your hat to be and the size of the circle you made.
4. Fold the strip in half, then cut triangle shapes along one side.
5. Using your hot glue gun or tape, attach the piece to the circle. Then glue or tape a second circle on top of this to retain a smooth finish on top.
6. Place your cardboard hat shape in the center of your scrap of material. (Unlike mine, it would be best if you iron the material beforehand. I just got a bit too lazy to do so.)
7. Fold in each side of the material and glue or tape the edges to the inside, making sure that the material on the outside is taut and fitted to the cardboard shape.
8. Measured to your fit your head, attach the two ends of the elastic to the inner top of the hat.
9. To hide all that mess on the inside of your hat, glue or tape your third cardboard circle into the inside.
10. Lastly, the best part, decoration! Personalize, glamorize, and electrify your pillbox to however your heart desires.
Hope you all enjoy this tutorial, and have a lovely weekend. <3