19.3.10

Spring cleaning: detox your space

What fashion enthusiast wouldn't lust over a closet that could pass as a little boutique? Unfortunately, most are not endowed with such a thing, so we make the best of the lovely, though tiny, space we have. And as the days progress, we learn just how difficult it is to find our favorite pair of tights, and practically everything else amongst our cluttered space. Now Spring is right around the corner, so why not take advantage of that much needed spring cleaning and take your closet a few steps closer to the one you've always wanted.

  1. Turn it up.  First of all, who can go through an entire clean up session without the accompaniment of your favorite album? Dance around and have a jam session while throwing out that trash pile you never even knew existed in your closet.
  2. Let it go. We all have items that we intended on wearing religiously when we first bought them, which we did, until we grew tired of it after a week and a half. Things go out of style. Things go out of our personal style. And some things end up with ketchup stains far from unnoticeable. Sell it or throw it away, depending on it's condition of course. Or how about make a difference and take the time to donate your clothes to charities like Dress for Success, The Princess Project, or your local Salvation Army or Goodwill.
  3. Store it. You know those bulky jackets you have taking up space on the right hand side of your closet? I'm sure they are pretty and are some of your closet's most bragged pieces, but who are we kidding? Those darlings will not be seeing the light of day for a couple of seasons. These under the bed storage bags from Bed Bath & Beyond or storage boxes from The Container Store work perfectly when wanting to make room for those new floral dresses you just treated yourself to. If this is too dull for your liking, maybe roam your local outdoor market and find an antique chest to temporarily stash your treasures.
  4. Shelve it. Found some little knickknacks and that headband and hat you thought you lost last year on that road trip up the coast? Make them feel welcome and add a little shelf to your closet just for their being. These cheap 2 for $10 shelves from Ikea would definitely do the job.
  5.  Coordinate & Organize. Color coordination is one choice of organization that I personally find extremely effective. Separate your different clothing pieces, such as outerwear and skirts, then within that, color coordinate! Clothes and accessories aside, you still have your heels and comfy flats scattered about the floor or kicked off along the side of your bed from wearing their last night on the town. The Container Store also has a solution for this with their 12 pair shoe organizer, which can easily be lined along the bottom of your closet. Hanging organizers also do the job perfectly without overcrowding.
  6. Decorate Me Mine. Lastly, just because your space may be small doesn't mean you can't make it your own. If you have a walk-in, wouldn't a mini pink chandelier just be darling to be greeted by every time? If not and have a wall closet, try getting rid of those rickety doors you've never really liked too much and swap for a curtain of choice.

Now stand back and admire your wonderful work, and as they said in elementary school, "give your selves a nice pat on the back." Even better, go bask in the much missed sun and warmth with some delightful little lemon cakes and your beverage of choice. Better yet, bring joy to a now lonely hanger and go treat yourself to a brand new dress for the season. Or maybe two. Okay three. No one's stopping you. <3

    22 comments:

    iris said...

    great post! love your blog and your style.:))

    Jen Hsieh said...

    these are pretty awesome tips to organize a closet (and mine definitely needs some organizing). i'm especially loving the idea to donate some clothes. i'll probably do so in the summer at some point. :)

    Rosanna said...

    great post! i should really start cleaning out my closet :)


    www.littlemissdressup.com

    jacquelinemay said...

    What a fabulous blog, I absolutely love this! Thank you for sharing your wisdom. x


    http://jacqueline-may.blogspot.com/

    Talor said...

    Great tips!

    Tanja Gotthardsen said...

    Wonderful post, very inspiring! I think I'll go look through my closet right away! :)

    Desired Youth said...

    where is the first picture from? Because I simply LOVE that cushion chair in the middle!

    Tieka, Selective Potential said...

    Love this post! I need to do some major organization for spring!

    Meggstatus said...

    I actually love cleaning my closet. A lot of times I forget what I have and it's nice to be reunited with pieces you forget about. Also, nothing feels better than giving clothing to those in need.

    Brandy Shaloo said...

    I have to reorganize my closet too but right now I'm too lazy for that. I'll read this post again before I get started, you shared some great tipps here ;-)

    rachel red lips said...

    i started going through my closet just today!

    thanks for the tips :)

    Sara said...

    lol I love this post. I have slowly been cleaning my apartment all week, I really want to tackle my bedroom! Thanks for all the tips!

    Kelly @ blackdog finds said...

    What a timely post- my closet is in dire need! These are great tips for any size closet and the pictures are inspiring to actually go and do it! Thanks!

    Piper Larson said...

    I hadn't heard of the Princess Project before...thanks so much for the info!
    XO Piper

    InnyVinny said...

    I'm a sucker for a closet organization post. Makes me want to go do it right now. =)

    Great photos, too. =)

    Unknown said...

    Thank you very much for these inspiring ideas! I just find myself urged to draw everything out of my cupboard^^...
    Love,

    Lilly :D

    Skinnypurse said...

    These are great tips and totally inspiring. Especially love the one about color coordination - such an easy way to visually organize your clothes. That closet in the first picture is amazing.

    J. said...

    Great post! :)

    Carly Anne said...

    I have been trying to motivate myself to clean my closet for a week now; thanks for giving me the motivation!

    Wonderful blog.

    XO
    Carly

    All this is Grace and Charm
    http://allthisgraceandcharm.blogspot.com

    Unknown said...

    Girls always look on themselves as proud princesses, with the exception of a small number of either extremely ugly or exceedingly smart ones.



    D-CAN Interface
    inpa k+can
    xprog-m
    upa usb

    Buy Vigrx said...

    Hi
    good work keep up buddy
    Thx

    Unknown said...

    I am having hard time when I try organizing my stuff in my room.

    http://www.autohex.com/

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts with Thumbnails